Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Introduction Post

Ok, so now that I’ve been advertising this blog to all and sundry, I suppose it’s time to get started on it! I guess I’ll just begin with a simple “Hi this is me” post. So let’s see… the basics about me:
I’m 24 years old, and currently on hiatus from getting my early childhood education degree. Not on hiatus by choice, but simply because the fine state of Hawaii wants to charge me $250 per credit hour for community college, and won’t guarantee me entrance into classes because I’m not a native Hawaiian. Well, pooh on them, I’ll just wait until I get back to Florida. That aside, I’m about halfway through my associates degree, although I do hold a number of certifications, and I really enjoy school when I get to attend. I’m working on a double major in Early Childhood Education and Psychology, so there’s really never a dull moment.
I’ve been working with children for the past 14 years, first as a babysitter, then as a preschool teacher for 5 years, and currently as a nanny for 15 month old twins. I’ve had quite a bit of experience with children requiring extra TLC, and am considering specializing in Autistic Spectrum Disorders during my bachelor’s studies. I’ve done extensive research on several aspects of teaching, and I enjoy reading things that could only qualify as textbooks for most people!
I’ve begun this as a place to put my thoughts and opinions out there for the world at large. I have a lot of definite feelings about what I refer to as the hot button issues in early childhood, and I’d like to have somewhere to discuss them, and maybe even find someone to discuss them with! To start with, I think I’m going to take one of my pet issues per week and give my thoughts on it, and then hopefully branch out from there, although I’m definitely open to comments, questions, and suggestions!
On a more personal note, I’ve been married 2 years, my husband and I will actually be celebrating our anniversary next week, and we’re working on beginning a family of our own. As I mentioned before, we’re currently living in Hawaii, but I’m also working on designs for a childcare center in the Jacksonville, Florida area. We’re very much looking forward to this move, although it won’t be happening until April 2000, and I’m enjoying the designing and planning process, as we’re literally building the c enter from the ground up. My eventual goal is obtain my Doctorate in Early Childhood Psychology, and run a preschool and early childhood research facility.
I suppose that’s all I have to put here, and I’m hoping to start my weekly issues next Tuesday. Thank you all for taking the time to stop by and read!

No comments: